Monday, December 14, 2009

Blame my mother... really.

I can remember watching all sorts of weird, crazy and utterly horrible movies as a kid. My folks would pack us into our VW squareback and my sister and I would sit in the backseat, cozy in our pajamas, and cram freshly popped popcorn down our throats.

Yes, we were at the drive-in.

We watched all sorts of grade z monster movies like Sssssssand Bugand the occasional Japanese creature feature like War of the Gargantuas.I especially remember watching this one crazy film where people in a hi-rise complex were throwing up all over each other, getting naked and doing strange things...

My mother told us to close our eyes for that one.

I would discover later that that film was David Cronenberg's They Came From Within(also known as Shivers).

When I was twelve, my mother took me and a buddy to see a new sci-fi monster film that everybody was talking about. It was rated R for good reason - gore, horror and the kind of jump-scares that were sending people fleeing from the theaters. Of course, this didn't stop her from taking us right on in.

That movie was Alien, and suddenly I realized that monster movies needn't be grade-z shlock. They could be elegant. Thought-provoking. And still scary as hell.

Thanks Ridley.

And thanks, mom.

17 comments:

  1. *wanders in*

    Most of my family came from the same vein of movie buffs as your parents did. At 14 my grandparents (!) took me to see Phantasm. Yep, I sat there next to grandma as the Tall Man went about his business. And every summer we saw everything at the drive-ins with my parents. Btw, there are still a few left in and around Orange County NY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing.

    경마사이트
    메이저사이트

    ReplyDelete
  3. สล็อต 999This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. บา คา ร่า วอ เลทA very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. สล็อตเว็บใหญ่I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. บา คา ร่า วอ เลทTook me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  7. สล็อตแตกง่ายAwesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. สล็อตxoI haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. เว็บสล็อตYour work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. เว็บตรงสล็อตThanks for another wonderful post. Where else could anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. เว็บ ตรงhowdy, your websites are really good. I appreciate your work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. เกมสล็อตI have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.

    ReplyDelete